Monday, September 7, 2009

One in four heart attack and stroke patients miss medication


Almost a quarter of people on medication to prevent strokes and heart attacks are not taking their drugs, research has found.


Women are slightly more likely than men to take their drugs on time, according to a poll of 472 patients, but overall 26% said they either missed doses or did not use their prescribed medication at all.

Anti-clotting drugs were not taken regularly by 29% of patients at a GP practice in the North-east of England, and 23% failed to take statins on time, which reduce cholesterol and lower the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Research presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference in Manchester found that older patients and those on large numbers of drugs were more likely to stick to a medication schedule.

Pharmacist Wasim Baqir, from The Village Green Surgery, Sunderland, said: “Simply prescribing a drug is not enough.

“Doctors and other members of the primary care team, such as pharmacists, need to work with patients so they understand the importance of taking their medicines in the right dose, at the right time.”



source

1 comment:

  1. In the cases of heart attack and cardiac arrest, or any other heart shocks, time sets to be the most crucial factor for the survival of the patient. Sometimes, a little knowledge regarding the immediate actions to be taken may help your near and dear ones to survive in such incidents. Keith Churchwell has extraordinarily explained the pros and cons while handling patient suffering immediate heart attack or cardiac arrest. The response a person takes to treat a victim decides the probability of his/her survival. Its been my personal experience fighting to survive against a heart attack. A quick recognization of your bodily responses may increase your chances of survival. Because of having many heart problems, I was enrolled in a concierge Healthcare program from elite health. I was attacked by a severe heart attack in a party, luckily surrounded by many people. Some of the sudden changes in my body was recognized by me and anticipated immediately. I got a very severe chest pain which was almost unbearable for more than a minute. I got the suspicion that I might be having heart attack, and immediately called my physician on the phone, and explained my condition and its severity. Because of the immediate guidance, I was directed immediately to have an aspirin which I used to carry with me as prescribed by my physician. It was quite a frightening experience for me to face such a heart attack, but somehow I managed to be calm until 911 arrived. I was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, where already my physician were present and have got everything setup according to my medical history. And it was in some matter of seconds that everything was in control. A doctor, who already have the complete knowledge of the medical history and fitness of the person, extra ordinarily ameliorate your recovery process. Hence such a concierge level program from Elite health, helped me a save my life, like many others.

    ReplyDelete